Social Entrepreneurship Project – INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM
SOCIAL ENTREPRENEURSHIP FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT IN SUB-SAHARAN AFRICA: LESSONS LEARNED FROM BUSINESS INCUBATION IN SELECTED COUNTRIES
Date: 26th August 2022, Time: 09:00 – 15:00 (GMT+1)
As elsewhere in the world, Business support organizations (BSOs) are more and more numerous on the African continent. These organizations are known primarily for providing the structural support that allows new businesses to grow and become financially independent. The main mission of these structures is to support and guide entrepreneurs who need advice on how to structure their project and make it viable, whether they are in the idea phase, a start-up company or already well-structured companies looking to accelerate their growth. In the last decade, sub-Saharan Africa has also witnessed a proliferation of BSOs, and it is hoped that they will play a key role in attaining the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), especially with regards to gender equality and the promotion of sustained and inclusive economic growth. Yet, the effectiveness and impact of these business support organizations remain largely unexplored. Likewise, their role in accelerating the economic transformation of Africa seems hard to be established.
Since September 2020, the Nkafu Policy Institute, a Think Tank at the Denis and Lenora Foretia Foundation, in partnership with organizations in Ghana (Innohub LTD) and Burkina Faso (Burkina Business Incubator), is implementing a 2-year project. This project is entitled: “Social Entrepreneurship for Sustainable Development in sub-Saharan Africa: Lessons learned from business incubation in Cameroon, Burkina Faso, and Ghana” and is funded by the International Development Research Centre (IDRC). The main objective of this project is to map the business incubation practices in the selected countries and see how these practices contribute to Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) 4, 5, 8, 9, and 13; and therefore promote social entrepreneurship.
Objective of the International symposium
This event aims to present general report of the research to the stakeholders. It will also serve as a forum for the Nkafu Policy Institute, its partners in Burkina Faso and Ghana, to discuss the way forward.
Expected results of the event
At the end of this event, the following key outcomes are expected to be achieved:
- The link between business support organizations and the ecosystem for innovation and science in sub-Saharan Africa is established, with evidence on what works and what needs to be improved/modified for sustainable scaling.
- The current challenges faced by business support structures in achieving the set objectives are critically assessed in each selected country.
- Weaknesses in current practices and the impact of the cultural and institutional environment identified in the selected countries.
- An in-depth and evolving research project across sub-Saharan African countries on business incubation practices and the achievement of the SDGs is initiated.
- · The International Development Research Centre (IDRC)
- · 5 invitees per country (2 from the partner organizations, 1 from the public sector, 1 expert and 1 from the media)
State representatives in Cameroon
- · Ministry of Scientific Research and Innovation.
- · Ministry of Small and Medium-sized Enterprises, Social Economy and Handicrafts.
- · Ministry of Women’s Empowerment and the Family.
- · Ministry of Higher Education.
- · Ministry of Finance.
- · Ministry of Youth Affairs and Civic Education.
- · Entrepreneurs
- · Business support organizations
- · Social Entrepreneurs
- · Capital providers
- · Ecosystem enablers/policy makers
- · Professional associations;
- · Community-based organizations (CBOs)
- · Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs)
- · Higher institutions of learning – universities;
- · Vocational schools
- · Experts;
- · Public personalities
- · Medias
Due to the Covid-19 barrier measures, participation in Djeuga Palace will be by invitation only. The expected number of participants is 50 maximum. The event will be hybrid.
Email: email@example.com / Tel: (+237) 22 31 15 84 / 653 78 25 81/ 698 64 55 24
Leave A Comment