Background & General Description:
The Denis and Lenora Foretia Foundation works to catalyze Africa’s Economic Transformation through social entrepreneurship, science and technology, innovation, public health, and progressive policies that create economic opportunities for all. Our areas of work include sustainable development, science and innovation, health, leadership, education, entrepreneurship, economic and public policy. The Denis and Lenora Foundation is an umbrella non-profit institution with several departments including the Nkafu Policy Institute, the Small Business and Entrepreneurship Center, the Communication, and the Sustainable Development Programs.
The Nkafu Policy Institute is a Cameroonian think tank at the Denis & Lenora Foretia Foundation that provides independent, in-depth and insightful policy recommendations that advance the Cameroonian economy and that of other sub-Saharan African countries. Its reputation is founded on its independence, high quality research and innovative policy prescriptions.
The Denis & Lenora Foretia Foundation is looking for an experienced Director for its Governance and Democracy Division within the Nkafu Policy Institute. This fulltime position will be based in Yaoundé.
Roles & Responsibility:
Reporting to the Director of the Nkafu Policy Institute, the task, duties and responsibilities of the Director of Governance and Democracy is to contribute substantially to Governance policy section of the Nkafu Policy Institute and to help develop the capacity and competence (academic and technical) required to achieve Nkafu’s strategic objectives. This includes:
- Directs, manages and leads the Governance and Democracy Division teams;
- Provides strategic vision, delivery and leadership on governance policy and research;
- Provides leadership to the development of innovative and change management programs
- Oversees the management of activities undertaken by the Division, ensuring that programmed activities are carried out in a timely fashion and co-ordinates work in the different areas.
- Ensures the capacity development of staff and stakeholders with regards to assessing governance performance, including but not exclusive to workshop facilitation and trainings;
- Develops Indicators for measuring corruption, local governance, civil society, public administration, parliament, political parties, democracy, conflict, electoral systems, gender, human rights, justice or media;
- Ensures assessment facilitation through dialogue, inclusive participation, consensus building and multi-stakeholder approaches.
- Leads project design, implementation and project evaluations.
- Assists with writing, drafting, researching and substantive editing of knowledge products related to governance assessments.
Key Qualifications and Skills Required:
- Ability to communicate ideas concisely written and verbally;
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity, including gender balance;
- Ability to identify and address relevant gender perspectives in substantive work;
- Excellent command of written and verbal English or French;
- Experienced and competent user of WORD. Other software packages a plus, such as SPSS, STAT or other statistical, qualitative research, or indicator related programs.
- Proven relevant working experience;
Education, and Experience:
- Advanced university degree (Ph.D. degree or equivalent) in political science, law, international Relations, development studies, public policy and public administration or related field. A Master’s in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of a Ph.D. degree
- Minimum 5 years of proven work experience in the thematic area of expertise.
- Professional and demonstrated excellent English or French, verbal and written skills, related to knowledge products, reports, academic articles and or other
- Working knowledge of both English and French
All applications will be completed ONLINE using the Application Portal. To complete your application, you will need:
- A one-page cover letter indicating your research areas of interest (in PDF)
- A curriculum vitae/ Resume (in PDF)
- A professional photo
- A previously written work (published or unpublished) that demonstrates the candidate’s abilities (in PDF)
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis (starting October 10, 2023) and continue until the position is filled. The deadline for the receipt of applications is November 30, 2023. All applications must be submitted using the Online Portal below
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.