Call for Application – Director of Peace and Security Division for the Nkafu Policy Institute
Background & General Description:
The Denis and Lenora Foretia Foundation works to catalyze Africa’s Economic Transformation through social entrepreneurship, science and technology, innovation, public health, and progressive policies that create economic opportunities for all. Our areas of work include sustainable development, science and innovation, health, leadership, education, entrepreneurship, economic and public policy. The Denis and Lenora Foundation is an umbrella non-profit institution with several departments including the Nkafu Policy Institute, the Small Business and Entrepreneurship Center, the Communication, and the Sustainable Development Programs.
The Nkafu Policy Institute is a Cameroonian think tank at the Denis & Lenora Foretia Foundation that provides independent, in-depth and insightful policy recommendations that advance the Cameroonian economy and that of other sub-Saharan African countries. Its reputation is founded on its independence, high quality research and innovative policy prescriptions.
The Denis & Lenora Foretia Foundation is looking for an experienced Director for its Peace and Security Division to oversee the Peace and security unit of the Nkafu Policy Institute. This fulltime position will be based in Yaoundé.
Roles & Responsibility:
Reporting to the Director of the Nkafu Policy Institute, the task, duties and responsibilities of the Director of the Peace and Security Division is to contribute substantially to Peace and Security section of the Nkafu Policy Institute and to help develop the capacity and competence (academic and technical) required to achieve Nkafu’s strategic objectives. This includes:
- Promoting and facilitating leading-edge research, in the field of peace and security;
- Ensuring constant publication of research papers, articles etc.
- Organizing workshops and seminars for presentation of research finding;
- Writing practical, policy-oriented publications that are concise and polished in quick turnaround times;
- Developing and implementing engagements and research on nationally led prevention and peacebuilding strategies in conflict-affected areas;
- Working with major stakeholders to identify and develop innovative approaches to peace operations, linking them to prevention and peacebuilding agendas;
- Outreach to and collaboration with stakeholders, through events, meetings, briefings, and other actions.
- Supervising the research and analytical work of the Division on peace and security issues and ensures that the outputs produced by the Division maintain high-quality standards; that reports are clear, objective and based on comprehensive data.
- Performing other duties as required
Key Qualifications and Skills Required:
- Capable of carrying out independent research
- must be a team player
- results orientated
- pay attention to details
- must have publications in scientific journals of international standing
Education, and Experience:
- Must hold a PhD in any of the following discipline, (International relations, development, economic, political science, sociology)
- At least 5 years working experience in an academic institution, public or private sector
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to lead and motivate a small team would be an advantage
All applications will be completed ONLINE using the Application Portal. To complete your application, you will need:
- A one-page cover letter indicating your research areas of interest (in PDF)
- A curriculum vitae/ Resume (in PDF)
- A professional photo
- A previously written work (published or unpublished) that demonstrates the candidate’s abilities (in PDF)
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis (starting November 18, 2023) and continue until the position is filled. The deadline for the receipt of applications is January 5, 2024. All applications must be submitted using the Online Portal below
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.