Website foretiafound Nkafu Policy Institute
Catalyzing Africa’s Economic Transformation
Background & General Description:
The Denis and Lenora Foretia Foundation works to catalyze Africa’s Economic Transformation through social entrepreneurship, science and technology, innovation, public health, and progressive policies that create economic opportunities for all. Our areas of work include sustainable development, science and innovation, health, leadership, education, entrepreneurship, economic and public policy. The Denis and Lenora Foundation is an umbrella non-profit institution with several departments including the Nkafu Policy Institute, the Small Business and Entrepreneurship Center, the Communication, and the Sustainable Development Programs.
The Nkafu Policy Institute is a Cameroonian think tank at the Denis & Lenora Foretia Foundation that provides independent, in-depth and insightful policy recommendations that advance the Cameroonian economy and that of other sub-Saharan African countries. Its reputation is founded on its independence, high quality research and innovative policy prescriptions.
The Denis & Lenora Foretia Foundation is looking for an experienced Director of Economic Affairs to oversee the Economic Affairs Division of the Nkafu Policy Institute. This fulltime position will be based in Yaoundé.
Roles & Responsibility:
Reporting to the Director of the Nkafu Policy Institute, the task, duties and responsibilities of the Director of Economic Affairs is to contribute substantially to the economic policy section of the Nkafu Policy Institute and to help develop the capacity and competence (academic and technical) required to achieve Nkafu’s strategic objectives. This includes:
- Directs, manages and leads the Economic Affairs Division teams;
- Provides strategic vision, delivery and leadership on economic policy and research;
- Provides leadership to the development of innovative and change management programs
- Oversees the management of activities undertaken by the Division, ensuring that programmed activities are carried out in a timely fashion and co-ordinates work in the different areas.
- Enhances and develop Nkafu’s external profile, its influence and impact.
- Works in helping shape and inform Project Proposals and project implementation with sound economic thinking;
- Represent the Nkafu Policy Institute in public forums, including the media, events and with policymakers and opinion leaders;
- Interact with and build relationships with senior politicians and civil servants, opinion leaders, business and civil society leaders;
- Review and advise on the technical quality of economics research in NKAFU projects;
- Interact with and build relationships and joint initiatives with leading economists and other key players in academia;
- Lead on the conceptualization, development and funding of certain priority projects
Key Qualifications and Skills Required:
- An excellent understanding of contemporary debates in economic policy, broadly understood, both in Cameroon and sub-Saharan Africa;
- Strong technical economics skills, specifically in relation to quantitative, statistical analysis;
- Experience of macroeconomic model-building (or a demonstrable aptitude for this work)
- A proven track record of conceptualizing and executing your own research in economics
- A proven track record of conceptualizing, implementing and managing policy-oriented research, action- research and/or development projects
- Good IT skills and a publication record
- Must be bilingual (English and French);
Education, and Experience:
- Advanced university degree (Ph.D. degree or equivalent) in economics or related field.
- A minimum of 5 years relevant and demonstrable experience acquired in the area of development economics, academia or multilateral institutions.
- High-level creative and critical research and analysis in the field of economics
- Record of success of effective engagement with high-level decision makers
- Excellent writer and communicator
- Ability to lead and motivate a small team would be an advantage
All applications will be completed ONLINE using the Application Portal. To complete your application, you will need:
- A one-page cover letter indicating your research areas of interest (in PDF)
- A curriculum vitae/ Resume (in PDF)
- A professional photo
- A previously written work (published or unpublished) that demonstrates the candidate’s abilities (in PDF)
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis (starting March 06, 2023) and continue until the position is filled. The deadline for the receipt of applications is April 21, 2023. All applications must be submitted using the Online Portal below
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit www.emailmeform.com.