2022 PUBLIC POLICY ANALYSIS COURSE
The Nkafu Policy Institute at the Denis & Lenora Foretia Foundation has designed a special one-week (5 days) intensive training course to equip young scholars with critical thinking about free enterprise, government transparency, and fiscal accountability. The course has been specifically designed to:
- Build participants’ capacity on how to run a business;
- Raise participants’ awareness of main challenges facing businesses;
- Improve participants’ skills in policy analysis and research methods, both qualitative and quantitative;
- Enhance participants’ ability to promote evidence-based public policy through the writing of sound op-eds, policy briefs and reports;
- Train participants in the process of planning an effective political advocacy campaign;
- Train participants on how to advocate for change.
- Equip participants with the skills and techniques to critically appraise policies and make actionable recommendations; and;
- Improve the ability of participants to effectively disseminate research findings through various communication channels.
The training will be done in English and French. So, participants will be expected to understand both languages as there will be no simultaneous translation.
Why Free Enterprise, Government Transparency, and Fiscal Accountability?
A free enterprise economic system stimulates competition amongst private businesses and helps in the safeguarding of an economy where small businesses can thrive, being largely free from government control. In Africa, small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs)?make up about 90% of businesses. They contribute to 36% of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of Cameroon. According to the Ministry of Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises, Social Economy and Handicraft, Cameroon would be an emerging economy if SMEs were to contribute 50% of the GDP.
However, SMEs in Cameroon face several obstacles that prevent them from growing and catalyzing a system that generates economic opportunities for all. The various obstacles faced by Cameroon’s SMEs include high tax rates, administrative bottlenecks, corruption, difficult access to finance, and difficult access to electricity just to name but a few. Therefore, there is an urgent need for liberating enterprises to advance prosperity in Cameroon.
For more than six years, the Nkafu Policy Institute at the Denis and Lenora Foretia Foundation has been working towards making Cameroon a better place to live and work, by promoting research-based policy reforms grounded in the free enterprise and economic freedoms. ?Indeed, our central mission at the Nkafu Policy Institute is the promotion of free enterprise policies that lead to job creation and wealth generation.
- Participants shall also be engaged with the different policy divisions at the Nkafu Policy Institute throughout the training period.
- They shall focus, amongst other things, on carrying out research to educate the public on the benefits of a free enterprise system in Cameroon, through newspaper articles and short policy papers.
- A full-time position at the Denis and Lenora Foretia Foundation may be awarded to one or two candidates who will have distinguished themselves during the training.
- Training is limited to?twenty-five (25)?young scholars Cameroonians, both male and female
- The program is organized by the Nkafu Policy Institute at the Denis and Lenora Foretia Foundation. It will be facilitated by carefully selected and well talented Cameroonians working in both the private and public sectors.
Lectures, simulations, case-study discussion, group debates, post-course follow-up.
Duration & Location:
The training will run for 5 days from?12 September 2022 to 16 September 2022. The training will be hosted at the Foretia Foundation Headquarters in Simbock-Yaoundé, 100 m from the College Jesus Marie.