Workshop on Scientific and Manuscript Writing
“Workshop on Scientific and Manuscript Writing”
April 19-20, 2023, at Hôtel La Falaise, Yaoundé
Scientific communication is a vital process in the chain of actions required to translate research findings into actionable real-life policies. The art of scientific communication therefore stands out as a must for those interested in bridging the gap between the laboratory bench and the public space and bring utmost relevance to the scientific research process. It contributes to maintain high standards in research through peer review, good practices and publication ethics. Excellence in scientific writing has raised many individuals and organizations to prominence and remains a major tool for carrier development in the scientific community.
Understandably, the volume of scientific publications correlate with the volume and quality of the studies being carried out. The African continent, host to about 12% of the global population, produces less than 1% of all academic publications, placing her at a huge disadvantage as far as scientific progress is concerned. African scientists thus need to pick up skills to produce internationally competitive scientific articles, so that the continent can join the table for progress in science. Writing effective scientific papers requires practical guidance,, commitment and resolve in order to deliver content of acceptable quality and overcome the known challenges.
The Nkafu Policy Institute through its division of Health Policy and Research, is organizing a two-day course to cover the basics of the scientific writing process as a step among others to improve Africa’s representativity in the landscape of top-notch scientific publications in the world.
- To train young African scientists on the power and process of scientific writing
- To create a network for mentoring in scientific paper writing – To compile a comprehensive directory of journals and publishers of scientific content
- Venue and date
The course will take place the 19th & 20th of April 2023, 12:00pm to 6:00pm at Hôtel La Falaise, Yaoundé.
- Targeted audience
This course targets Master and PhD students, researchers and professionals irrespective of their area of research as well as the foundation’s interns.
- Participation requirements
To attend the course, participants are required to pay training fees of 15000 XAF / ($25) for students and 30000 XAF / ($50) for researchers and professionals. The number of participants is limited and the foundation will sponsor the participation of 5 students via a call for scholarship.
- Expected results
At the end of this course, we expect the participants to be:
- Fully satisfied of the training and able to produce high standard research papers and to publish them in top ranked journals.
- Converted into ambassadors of the foundations’ further events.
To evaluate the course impact and learn lessons for the future,
- A satisfaction survey will be conducted among participants at the end of the training.
- The number and impact of their publications will be assessed on a yearly basis after the course.
- This course is expected to occur once a year or more often as the need arises.
Leave A Comment