About the Denis & Lenora Foretia Foundation
The Denis & Lenora Foretia Foundation was established by Dr. Foretia and his wife to catalyze Africa’s economic transformation by focusing on social entrepreneurship, science and technology, innovation, public health, and progressive policies that create economic opportunities for all. The foundation, which has its headquarters in Yaoundé – Cameroon, works in partnership with local governments, policymakers, private enterprises, civil society organizations as well as development partners to expand the resources available to entrepreneurs, farmers, and small business owners in addition to improving individual livelihoods. It focusses on three major programmatic areas: –
- The Nkafu Policy Institute – an independent think tank;
- The Small Business & Entrepreneurship Center (SBEC);
- The Sustainable Development Program.
The Denis & Lenora Foretia Foundation is seeking an energetic leader for the position of President & CEO. The President & CEO will be responsible for managing the overall business operations of the foundation to support its mission. With a dedicated team and an engaged Board, the successful candidate will help forge new partnerships to build on the Foundation’s existing programs, increasing the organization’s impact, financial resources, and visibility. The President & CEO will establish, cultivate, and maintain strong working relationships with staff, key stakeholders, and with a network of philanthropic partners, foundations, and other partnering organizations, including businesses and other nonprofits. In close collaboration with the Board of Trustees and staff, this new executive will lead The Foundation to its next level, exploring opportunities to leverage and enhance the organization’s current model, programs, and resources.
This leader will be instrumental in developing a strategy to increase the organization’s fundraising potential and activities. This will include the opportunity to build and develop comprehensive fundraising strategies with new and innovative approaches, while strengthening current development initiatives through thoughtful cultivation of national-level partnerships, managing all major donor (individuals, corporations, and foundations) relationships, and working closely with the Board of Trustees. With a strong public relations mindset, the President & CEO will be a strong voice for The Denis & Lenora Foretia Foundation as the external face of the organization, motivating and inspiring others to support the mission.
In partnership with the Board of Trustees, the President & CEO will assure that the organization has short- and long-range strategies to achieve its mission and goals with consistent, realistic, and timely progress. This professional will cultivate a strong and transparent working relationship with the Board of Trustees and ensure open communication about the measurements of financial, programmatic, and impact performance against the Foundation’s milestones and goals. The President & CEO will be committed to supporting existing core programs, maintaining a cohesive, positive organizational culture within the Foundation that emphasizes collaboration, collegiality, and accountability while supporting an open climate that attracts, retains, and motivates a diverse staff of top-quality people.
This is a full-time position located in Yaounde, Cameroon. For more information on The Denis & Lenora Foretia Foundation, please visit https://www.foretiafoundation.org
The President & CEO reports to the Board of Trustees and is responsible for the organization’s consistent achievement of its mission and financial objectives.
Provide strategic direction and drive fulfillment of the organization’s mission
- Assure that the strategic goals and objectives of the organizations are carried out;
- Develop with the Board, on a yearly basis, a work plan for the board to monitor the execution of the Foundation’s strategic plan;
- Communicate the organization’s performance and progress against goals using quantitative and qualitative metrics developed jointly with the Board of Trustees and staff;
- Maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance with local, national, and international regulations.
Lead the organization’s philanthropy and marketing efforts
- Provide leadership in fundraising plans with the Board of the Trustees and staff;
- Develop communication strategies with the Communications Team to promote and enhance The Foundation;
- Publicize the activities of the organization, its programs, and its goals;
- Establish sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with national groups and organizations;
- Serve as the organization’s primary public representative.
Manage staff and operations
- Be responsible for the recruitment, employment, and release of all personnel, both paid staff, and volunteers;
- Ensure job descriptions are developed, regular performance evaluations are held, and sound human resources policies and practices are in place;
- Encourage and support staff and volunteer development and education;
- Maintain an environment that attracts, keeps, and motivates a diverse team of top quality people.
Establish a budget and manage organizational finances
- Be responsible for developing and maintaining sound financial practices;
- Work with the staff and the board in preparing a budget; see that the organization operates within budget guidelines;
- Jointly, with the Co-Chairs of the Board of Trustees, conduct official correspondence of the organization, and jointly, with designated officers, execute legal documents.
Partner with the Board of Trustees
- Align and gain approval for annual and long-term objectives;
- Meet regularly with the Board and discuss progress, address obstacles, and report on performance;
- Actively participate with the Board on strategic planning initiatives.
Trusts other people to perform. Broadly shares responsibility and accountability. Allow subordinates to perform both important and routine tasks and assignments and trusts others to achieve the desired results.
Sees the BIG PICTURE to identify key areas or underlying issues and to develop effective strategies. Using a broad understanding and viewpoints can forecast future trends correctly. Possesses the ability to credibly depict future scenarios, plans, and opportunities.
Builds strong work relationships and adjusts to how individuals, organizations, and cultures function and react. Should be able to sense how others are feeling and foster rapport with a variety of people.
Participate in evaluating the success of the organization in reaching its goals and to ensure that each strategic goal is measurable.
Can carry out in-depth research that is able to foster the growth of the mission of the Foundation.
Can creatively build the revenue base by generating investments for the organizations. Creates revenue by building relationships with those willing to invest in the organization.
- Candidate MUST be fully bilingual – fluent in English and French;
- At least a Master’s degree in management, business administration, or equivalent;
- At least 5 years’ senior nonprofit management experience;
- Understanding of and experience with capacity building programs and working with small businesses;
- Proven track record of meeting or exceeding annual fundraising goals;
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including public speaking with both large and small audiences;
- Ability to lead both experienced and junior staff;
- Financial management background;
- Experience working with the Board of Trustees;
- Passion for the Mission of The Denis & Lenora Foretia Foundation.
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Applications are preferred by 26 March 2021 but will be accepted until the position is filled. Shortlisting of applicants will be done weekly, and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. All interested, qualified candidates should submit a resume and cover letter through our online application system via the link below. Applications will ONLY be accepted through the online application portal; we will NOT accept resumes by email.
Should you have any questions about the application process, please email us at [email protected] or [email protected]