The Nkafu Policy Institute is a Cameroonian think tank at the Denis & Lenora Foretia Foundation which provides independent, in-depth and insightful policy recommendations that advance the Cameroonian economy and the economies of other sub-Saharan countries. Its reputation is founded on its independence, high quality research and innovative policy prescriptions. Its mission is to advance public policies that help all Africans prosper in free, fair, and sustainable economies.
To further our health research activities in Cameroon, we are recruiting a full time Senior Researcher in Global Surgery and Public Health to be based in Yaoundé.
About the Health Initiative
Healthcare delivery in Cameroon faces significant challenges. Critical shortages in health care personnel, the lack of adequate infrastructure as well as the absence of credible health insurance schemes has led to decreased demand and consequent an increase in morbidity and mortality. The Health Initiative at the institute seeks to address these challenges through research and policy advocacy. Current efforts center on delineating access to care especially surgical care, the quest to curb non-communicable diseases and injuries.
The Senior Researcher must be internally motivated, dedicated, possess experience working in multidisciplinary teams, and have the capacity to communicate with both internal and external collaborators. He/she will work with a team in conducting research in global health, specifically in global surgery, advocacy, and policy analysis. Learning opportunities include an introduction to global health and global surgery, as well as research and public health experience.
- A minimum of a master’s degree in public health, or other relevant fields. A PhD or an MD is preferred.
- Must have expertize developing public health policy, preferably with experience in policy analysis.
- Required skills include data collection and interpretation, developing strategic plans and a complete mastery of public health policies of Cameroon.
- Strong research background
- MUST be proactive and motivated
- Good computer literacy. People skills are also necessary as this job involves public education, program coordination and advocacy.
- Good social media communication skills
A record of peer reviewed publications consistent with experience is expected. At least one writing sample submitted should be a published or draft journal article or job market paper. Experience working in health care industry (private or public sector) is desirable. Senior researchers are expected to show a demonstrated ability to mentor junior staff and communicate interim and final results to general audiences.
An effective Researcher needs to have strong communication (bilingual candidates preferred) and facilitation skills. Advocating for changes in public policy requires a confident person who can speak to public officials or stand before an audience and make a convincing case. He/she needs to have good writing skills, will be expected to write research manuscripts, articles, create news releases, bulletins, reports, posters, fliers and other documents. Must be creative and able to think out of the box. Other needed skills include multitasking, paying attention to detail and working well independently and as a team member
- The Senior Researcher will be required to conduct research and write research articles on health care delivery in Africa. Special emphasis will be on surgical care delivery.
- Engage in public debates related to health care policy in Cameroon, Africa and globally.
- Produce, with the assistance of team members, health infographics, reports etc and communicate them through traditional and modern media outlets.
- Present findings to public policymakers, service providers, community groups and the news media.
- Write at least one article a month for On Policy on issues that can contribute to the economic transformation of Cameroon and Africa.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to take initiative and complete project assignments independently and on time.
- Organizational skills and performing job requirements efficiently and orderly.
- Ability to maintain high degree of privacy and confidentiality.
All applications must be submitted using our online application tools. Before applying, you shall prepare a CV, cover letter and a writing sample. Submit your application online
Position will be opened until filled. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Applications will be reviewed on an on-going basis until position is filled. It is in your best interest to apply early.
Writing Sample Required – To be considered, applicants must submit a sample writing sample.