Accountant Job Description
The Nkafu Policy Institute at the Denis & Lenora Foretia Foundation has been growing steadily and is now seeking to dramatically accelerate growth. It is looking for a mission-focused, seasoned, strategic, and process-minded Accountant with experience working with international donor agencies to further strengthen its operations. The Accountant must be a leader who is able to help others at the Foundation deliver measurable, cost-effective results that make the vision a reality. Importantly, the successful Accountant will have the skills, sensitivity, and personal confidence to tap into the power that each member of the team brings to this mission.
Reporting to the Senior Accountant of the Foundation, the Accountant will lead all internal operations and will have the following responsibilities:
- Working in partnership with the leadership team, create the strategic three-year plan and implement new processes and approaches to achieve it
- Serve as the internal leader of the organization:
- Coordinate the annual operations plan and budget
- Lead the performance management process that measures and evaluates progress against goals for the organization
- Provide for all staff a strong day-to-day leadership presence; bridge national operations and support an open-door policy among all staff
- Increase key impact measurements
- Ensure that all programmatic partners renew their contracts
- Develop curriculum, tools, and training that meet cost guidelines
- Finance, Technology, and Human Resources
- Produce and implement a Balanced Scorecard metric throughout the organization
- Cultivate the values of the Foundation within the entire organization
- Instill a human capital development and “coaching” culture within the Foundation; upgrade human resources functions including: training, development, compensation and benefits, employee relations, performance evaluation and recruiting
- Develop an accounting system that provides the organization with quick access to financial information and enables strategic budgeting
- Analyze the current technology infrastructure and scope out the next level of information technology and financial systems that support the growth of specific programs and the organization overall
As a prerequisite, the successful candidate must believe in the core values of the Foundation and be driven by the mission. The candidate should demonstrate a passion for breaking new ground to lead social change. Beyond that, we are seeking a candidate that has proven experience in scaling organizations and a demonstrated ability to both lead and build the capabilities of a driven, bright and diverse team.
The successful candidate will most likely have had prior accounting experience. As noted, the Foundation is driven by the values of its people, so experience in managing a “values-driven” organization will be highly prized. Additional requirements are:
- Results-proven track record of exceeding goals and a bottom-line orientation; evidence of the ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; high level of business acumen; the ability to balance the delivery of programs against the realities of a budget; and problem solving, project management, and creative resourcefulness
- Strategic Vision and Agility-ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into the organizational plan
- Capacity Building- ability to effectively build organization and staff capacity, developing a top-notch workforce and the processes that ensure the organization runs smoothly
- Leadership and Organization-exceptional capacity for managing and leading people; a team-builder who has experience in scaling up organizations; ability to connect staff both on an individual level and in large groups; capacity to enforce accountability, develop and empower top-notch leaders from the bottom up, lead from the top down, cultivate entrepreneurship, and learn the strengths and weaknesses of the team so as to put people in a position to succeed
- Action Oriented- enjoys working hard and looks for challenges; able to act and react as necessary, even if limited information is available, not afraid to take charge of a situation; can overcome resistance to leadership and take unpopular stands when necessary
- General Management- thorough understanding of finance, systems, and HR; broad experience with the full range of business functions and systems, including strategic development and planning, budgeting, business analysis, finance, information systems, human resources, and marketing
- Solid educational background- MBA or similar advanced degree highly desired. Ideal candidate will be Bilingual (English and French)
This is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated professional to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a fast-growing, highly respected organization. We are seeking an individual of outstanding quality with a very strong work ethic. The Foundation offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience.
Interested candidates should submit their applications directly online using our Application Portal.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until position is filled.